55 Website Essentials – Infographic
- Domain name – that’s easy to read and remember.
- Logo – a visual representation of your business that’s unique.
- TagLine – a concise description of what your business does.
- Phone Number – a clickable phone number (and make sure you answer).
- Call-to-Action – tell visitors what you would like them to do.
- Top Navigation – discreet options to find the top pages on your site.
- Bread Crumb Navigation – help your visitors navigate hierarchically.
Above the Fold:
- Image or Slider – visually display unique selling points and differentiators.
- Reviews and Testimonials – Video is even better to build trust with your visitors.
- Important Business Information – Location, etc.
Below the Fold:
- Quality Content – your unique selling proposition described for visitors and search.
- Main Features – of your products and services.
- Internal Links – to your website’s inner pages.
- Navigation – secondary navigation to common pages.
- Social Media Buttons – assist people in getting to know you via social channels.
- Online Chat Feature – instant communication while the visitor is researching.
- Business Hours – along with your location, this will make sure visitors know when they can visit.
- Contact Information – address, phone number, and/or email address.
- About Us Content – what’s your story?
- Inner Page Content – key product and service offerings in detail.
- Contact form – let visitors know when to expect a response.
- Captcha / Anti-Spam Feature – you’ll be sorry if you don’t!
- FAQ Page – frequently asked questions.
- Blog Page – company news, industry news, advice, and client stories you can share with your audience.
- Comment feature – increase user engagement.
- Search bar – make it easier for visitors to find the information they’re seeking.
- Sidebar – show your latest or most popular blog posts, call-to-action, or related posts.
- Social Media Share – allow users to easily share your articles.
Other Content and Design Points to Consider:
- Easily readable, clean font
- Links that are easy to understand
- Mobile responsive
- Hamburger menu on mobile site
- Use contrasting colors
- Use a spell checker
Search Engine Optimization:
- Title and meta description updates
- Automatic sitemap creation
- Easy to update URL structure
Server and Hosting:
- Fast and reliable hosting – I love WPEngine – click here to save 20%!
- Automatic website backup feature
Technical Requirements Backend:
- Optimized code for fast page loading
- Use a CMS – I only recommend and install WordPress
- Cross-browser compatibility
- Google Search Console integration
- Google Analytics Integration
- Schema.org integration
- Site Caching
Things to Avoid:
- Use a video hosting service, don’t load videos on your server
- Avoid background music
- Don’t use Flash
- Avoid Click to Enter sites (unless there are age restrictions)
- Do not steal content, images, or other assets
- Do not share confidential information